Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Visita de los padres Hayward

My parents came down to check up on us and see what this whole Argentina thing was all about. Dad peeked into a grave in the Recoleta Cemetary - famously the current and probably final resting place of Evita.
Mom walked into a tomb for a closer look.
El Hipodromo de Palermo will always be my favorite part of Buenos Aires.
Dad and I had all our money on #3 to win. (He is the one in the back).
Then we couldn't afford proper candles. Dad celebrated his 60th birthday in a third world country by blowing out matchsticks. At least there was strawberry shortcake.
Mom and Dad explored the City while Sarah and I were in class. They were impressed that protesters could shut down the world's widest street (9 de Julio) without any police intervention.

On a day trip to Lujan we stopped by the Basilica Virgin of Lujan. They say that in
1630 the wagon carrying a 20" statue of Mary from Brazil to Santiago de Estero got stuck in
the mud near the Lujan River. They were unable to move the wagon until they took out the statue. Then after moving forward they put the statue back in and the wagon would not move. This went on until they gave up and left her there.
The Argentinians built her this nice little house.
And this fancy outfit.

In exchange - they win a lot of partidos de futbol.
Back in Buenos Aires we went to the Casa Rosada where dad and I got back to
contemplating the impending financial crisis.

Those are some highlights from the first week of Mom and Dad's visit.

1 comment:

LuAnn Lomento said...

Dear Sarah Waselik,
I'm pretty sure that your mom is my cousin Joann from Torrington CT. I am uncle Danny's daughter in Port Chester New York. You look the same as in the pics I have of you. My son found this blog. Then I saw your mom and I knew for sure. You're all grown up. My dad loved you and your sister so much. Love your cousin LuAnn (Lomento) Keery.