Thursday, October 16, 2008

Financial Crisis in Buenos Aires















With banks and stock prices falling all around us, Sarah and I were lucky to get on the last helicopter out of Vancouver.

I was anxious to see how the Argentinians were coping. So I grabbed my Flip Video camera and went to the park.

This is what it looks like to be delevered. These guys have not been able to get a loan since 2001. If they want something they save up for it. They pay 100% cash for their homes. In times like these, Argentinians convert their pesos to dollars and relax in the park.



Chile 1, Argentina 0

Yet all is not well in the land of tango and red wine. Last night Chile beat Argentina 1-0 in soccer. THAT is a true crisis.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like your blog

Rand Star said...

Hi,

The Vancouver photo of people getting on the helicoptor reminds me of an older photo taken in Saigon, Viet Nam on April 25, 1975, the day the North overran the South. Just a coincidence I suppose.

Chau!