If I hadn't know better, I would have said that our friends Carrie and Mark were here for a visit in BsAs not to hang out and see the sights, but rather because they were on a secret assignment from Bon Appetit or Gourmet.
From the moment their plane landed they were on a mission to experience the best in Argentinian food and wine. Trevor and I gladly accompanied them on this adventure over the week when often the most important decision of the day became where to eat next and what Malbec to try!
While Argentinian beef rules most menus, we occasionally had to say mercy! Here Carrie & Mark are about to enjoy some parrilla-style pizza at 1893.

From the golden doors of Casa Cruz to Cumana's lentil stews and homemade empanadas, to sushi at Dominga, our culinary travels also led us to Sarkis for a Mediterranean-style feast for Carrie's birthday.

A requisite stop on this movable feast was our favorite Bar Uriarte. The dulce de leche creme brulee was so irresistible we stopped in again on Carrie and Mark's last night in BsAs for a sweet send-off.

Unknowingly, Mark set down a challenge that I wasn't sure could be met during his trip--to find the elusive coffee to-go. A ritual we take for granted in the States, the Argentines have yet to embrace the idea of walking the streets with a paper cup filled with steaming hot coffee. True to form, the first cafe we stopped in had no to-go cups. The second oddly enough had no water. The third stop was the charm. Here's Mark enjoying his coffee to-go.

In between meals we did manage to get in a little sightseeing. Here's the crew in front of La Casa Rosada shortly after a decadent lunch on the river at Las Lilas.

To balance out all of the the eating, Trevor and Mark took to playing a daily tennis match. Carrie and I opted to get our exercise by shopping for leather handbags and strolling around Palermo. Here we are in one of Palermo's many parks.

By the end of their vacation I think we all had to loosen our belts a notch or two.
No comments:
Post a Comment